THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Monday, February 20, 2006

Moving up in the world

Saturday night was my last day on the film from hell. This is not to say that it was the last day of filming, but I fortunately offered a bigger, better job and was able to get out of the final week of shooting. Last week was only slightly better than the first, but it could never convince me to stay on with this new offer. On Thursday night, a guy a worked for on my last major film called and told me he recommended me for an upcoming shoot that would last until the first week of June. If I got the job, I would be doing something new. I would be the 1st team Production Assistant, which means I would be in charge of getting all the principal actors to set on time with their Hair/Make-up/Wardrobe all done in an efficient manner.

Being the 1st team PA is a tricky proposition and one that I am looking forward to the challenges it will present. First, you are going to definitely get an earful from the 1st and 2nd Assistant Directors because they have everything scheduled for the day, and for the film to be made on time, that schedule needs to be kept. On the other hand, you have to keep your cool with the actors. You can never let them know that there is pressure to get them on set. Basically, it’s all about channeling your emotions and separating the anxieties that both sides will bring.

The great thing about this new project, besides the job security until June, is that I will be responsible for three very big actors. One of which I met a month ago when he opened the door for me while I was working one day on another film (There was a post about it so if you are a faithful reader of ths: the pa then you know who I am talking about). Besides both of those guys, I will be responsible for a guy that has one of the worst mugshots on the smokinggun.com. The last main actor is definitely a ladies man with an irish accent. He has been linked to a number of leading females and his most recent film had him paired with a 13 yr old actress, with the movie set about 400 years ago.

It will be an exciting four months. This week we have rehearsals and the production company wants me to be around the actors to get to know them better. I’m sure I’ll know what kind of lattes or odd foods that they all like pretty fast.

I just hope the experience is better than this last one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home