THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Thursday, January 12, 2006

This is the life

I know I know, it has been FOREVER since I have posted. Well, with the holidays obviously not being jam-packed with production related duties I haven't exactly had a plethora of stories to tell ya'll. Even as I write this now, I don't really have that much going on.

Basically what I'm going through now is what every freelancer goes through (some obviously more than others) and can happen without warning. What I'm talking about is 'not working.' Getting into this line of work, you have to expect that you won't be working every day of the year and that at many points, the space between one job and the next can be several weeks. For myself, this is the first time I haven't been working since Labor Day. I've been lucky compared to a lot of people in my position. I know a lot of PA's who aren't working and aren't getting many calls either, even for smaller things. Like, last week, I worked for several days on a project for SpikeTV. It was a random call from a guy I worked with on the last film and I was glad to take the work. It was definitely something different because I was working in the Art Department and was able to see a different angle in the industry. For instance, I learned what crews were in this part of production, what was important to know, who was important to know, etc.. The job didn't last long but if you get a chance to watch SpikeTV at some point, and you see a show that looks like it is ENTIRELY about a new Axe Bodywash, then that's what I worked on. The whole thing is a half hour long show called "The Order of the Serpentine" and it promotes a bodywash that washes away bad dates and girlfriends who dump you. Yeah, I know, sounds pretty ridiculous. But I do have to say I am intrigued to see what it looks like when it comes out.

As for future work, I am lined up to work on a film that starts shooting on the 31st of January and goes for the entire month of February. This, is a good thing. Unfortunately, as you can see, that's about three weeks away. So what does one do when they have three weeks "off?" Well, I can tell you, not a whole lot.

I've mostly spent my time trying to finish up little projects, watch way too much television, go to the end of the internet and back, as well as talking about nonsense on instant messenger with old friends from high school. I can say that it isn't the most appealing circumstances to be in, and the lack of incoming money can be scary, but I know there is a definite end to it. I could be like a lot of other people in this business and have 0 options.

Thankfully I do have options, too bad they are three weeks away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home