THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Surreal Day

Over the last few days I have been trying to think of something cohesive and interesting to write about. Usually during my workday I think of something that would be funny about working in the film industry, but then I usually forget about it later (write things down, write things down!). Anyway, the past week has been pretty easy since the “firing.” We shot a lot that incorporated minor characters or “day players” as they are known in the industry (because they are only in the film for only a few days of shooting). Thursday was a full day because we had to have a “company move” which is always a little daunting with such a big production. A “company move” occurs when you are shooting in two different locations on the same day, and all of the trucks and campers need to be moved. Our company move occurred at 5pm in lower Manhattan so it of course took awhile. Overall, things went smoothly and our day before the holiday weekend ended at around 1230am. (We all were thinking we would go until at least 2am but that was mainly because the crew has become quite pessimistic about getting out early before the weekends).

Other than that, I can only tell you bits and pieces of other things that might be of interest. Thursday night I bought a cup of decaf from the neighborhood Starbucks, and the actor I bought it for said it was awful. The actor is one of the few that I really like being around and he thought it would be fun to go back to the Starbucks and complain in a good-natured way. So we go in, no one else is there besides two kids behind the counter, and the actor starts chatting away about how bad the coffee was. The kid behind the counter makes him a free decaf espresso (I was sure these guys didn’t know who the actor was but I was wrong when I heard one of them say the name near the end of out visit) and while making the espresso, Bob Marley comes on over the speakers. This leads the actor to start dancing and singing to Bob Marley as well as talking to the kid behind the counter about going to the Bermuda in the 70’s and hearing the same great music. You could tell that the kids were having a great time, as was I, but the fun had to end since everyone was waiting for us on set.

Like I said, it’s a quick story, but it makes my job a little more surreal every time something like that happens. I mean, this actor has won an Oscar, he is pretty famous, and I’m standing there next to him as he dances around a Starbucks to the beat of Bob Marley on a random Thursday night.

On a completely off topic note, I wanted to wish a happy birthday to Thatkidinthecorner. Although it is tax day across the country, I still say the Thatkid’s birthday is much more significant. The American public might disagree, but what do I care what they think?

Next post: Terms of the industry and things that can drive a production assistant crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home