THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Oakland A's one was the coolest

Did you ever collect things when you were younger? Model trains, transformers, sports trading cards? I remember wanting to go to The Ground Round (of all places) just so I could get an ice cream dessert that was served in a mini baseball helmet. Such a kid thing to do. I think I even had a cousin who worked there so he got me a few without me having to drag my parents there for another tasty meal. I think I accumulated about 15 of them and most have gone the way of the trash in recent years but I do have some left. I still think they are cool for some reason because they remind me of the excitement I had when I was collecting them.

Why I am I saying any of this? I am saying this because that’s how I feel about meeting new celebrities during my new film. When I was younger, and even right up until the point where I started working in this business, I was very excited to meet all the people that I had watched on the big screen. I know it’s lame, but so many people feel the same way. It’s the feeling that gets people to buy tabloids and wait outside all day just to get a glimpse of their favorite celebs. So I’ve met some people, worked with some people, and the attraction is still there, but will it always be like that?

For example, last week I was able to meet this kid (nickname “Spanish” from his role in an “old” frat house comedy from a few years ago) as well as meeting “Kelly” from the original Bad News Bears. The more I’m meeting these random celebrities, the more I think that there are endless amounts of “collectible” sightings. With collecting those mini helmets, I knew I could eventually acquire them all and then show them off to whoever would care to see them (which probably didn’t encompass too many people past the age of 8). With working the film business I know that every day, every week, and every month, I will be meeting someone new. I will be meeting someone that I saw in a movie 10 years ago, in a meaningless role, and I will think that it’s still cool.

I only hope that in a few years I don’t become immune to the “collectible” celebrity introduction factor. At the very least, I will still think it is exciting, but it won’t be like it was during the first few months.

By the way, the filming is going well. I’m getting a better feel for my role. Each day I have less and less screw-ups. Soon I hope to go one-day error free, if that’s even possible in the film world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home