THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Monday, January 08, 2007

PATH you have finally failed me

So I live in New Jersey now. Many of you know this of course. Before I moved here, or anywhere off the Island, my only reservation was being outside of the Island with a body of water between me and most of the jobs I was going to have in the future. People told me it wasn't a big deal, the PATH runs smoothly (except for late night hours when it only comes every 30 min.) and plus you will have much more room in your apartment. I would agree with all of those things up until today.

Today I had my interview for the new film I will be starting next week (yes, I got the job). The interview was at 11am. I checked how to get to the production office and I figured it would take around 45 minutes to get out to Brooklyn. Not convenient, but not terrible. The F train thankfully hooks up with the PATH at 14th st., and from there it was a straight shot to the stop I needed. So I leave my apartment at 10:05, easily enough time right? Wrong. The PATH line going towards 33rd st, the one I need and the only one I have ever used, has a GAS leak and the entire line is shut down. Immediate thought, great! First impression from the people hopefully giving me a job is that I am going to be late...maybe. The only other option from here is to take the World Trade Center line (which I have never taken before and I had no clue where it left me). I was not excited by this, but I was not dismayed. I figured I left with enough time to cover unforeseen circumstances like this.

Well, I was wrong. An hour and a half later, and one extra train that I wouldn't have needed, I am walking through the rain totally late. Now also, for those of you who know me well, I hate to be late. I LOATHE it. I have clocks everywhere in my apartment. I set six alarms when I have to get up early in the morning. It makes me irritable to be late. I will get places early and then do a few laps of walking around the block to waste time.

Thankfully though, my new bosses were very cool and they already knew about the PATH gas leak. I got the job. They told me about the film briefly. No names are attached yet because all the offers are still out (see: worried faces). But I do have the script and I have read about thirty pages so far. And...ummm...it's pretty awful. I think I got less intelligent after reading it. It's a teenage thriller. You know, those movies that teenagers love and they make a lot of money, but no one else likes them? Yeah, that's this film. When you see the trailers for those films you say to the person sitting next to you "Wow, that looks awful." Well, imagine reading the script for one. I can't even explain it.

A paycheck is a paycheck though. At least I'll get to run around in the subway tunnels.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:36 PM , Blogger Jonathan said...

    FYI, in LA we use cars. It's an amazing technology. You guys back east should take a look at it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home