THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Unpaid Holiday

I love having the day off. I love being able to sleep for more than a few hours. I love being able to wake up and see the sun and not have it still be dark out. This is what I get on my days off. Like today, a lovely holiday filled with lots of food and good ol' family fun. I slept in today after getting into my hometown pretty late. It was nice. Tomorrow will be just as nice regardless of the fact that I will have to throw up some crappy Christmas lights at some point. The drawback to sleeping in and getting days "off?" Not getting paid.

When you work in the film/tv biz, and you aren't in a union, holidays and other days associated with holidays (like Black Friday) are unpaid days. So this week, I have a three day work week, but also only three days that I get paid which puts quite a crimp on the monthly financial outlook of my personal budgetary needs. It's not like I'm going to go hungry or I won't be able to get my two slices of pizza after work for $4.07 (I hate that .07 cents of tax by the way, it's total BS), but I do have to watch where I go and what I buy for longer. But hey, in the world of freelance, at least I'm working and I'm not hunting around for another project. I had a total of five days in between my last job ending and my new one starting. That's rare, and I know I am lucky.

Also, the new film I am on is the polar opposite from the tv show I was on for four months. It's been so chill for the first 6 days. All the people are nice, the actors are very cool, and it has been stress free for the first 1/4 of filming. Hopefully the last 3/4's of the film will be just as nice.

Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home