THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Sunday, July 23, 2006

I need to ask about Ray Bones

Aaaaaaaaaand I’m back! Another three week hiatus from the blog and I’m trying to get myself back into the routine of telling everyone what is going on. For those 6 people that are constantly refreshing their browsers to see if I have written anything new, I apologize. I have been away almost every weekend since my last post and the weekends are when I like to summarize the past week of events. Anyway, it’s good to be back and I have some good stuff to report.



New TV show, New People: For the past month I have been working on a new TV show for one of the big 3 networks. Very interesting stuff, long hours (as usual), and a faster tempo than film. As opposed to having three or four months to shoot a film, television crams an hour-long episode of work into 8 days. If you figure that films usually run from about 90 minutes to over two hours, 8 days creates a lot of pressure and high stakes to make something people want to watch. After having been out of the country for the first week of filming, I had to step in after the crew already got to know each other. For my first week, I was slightly nervous about the situation only because the guy who filled in for me was A) Very good at our job (he worked three years on ABC’s Hope & Faith) and B) he had already built up a great relationship with the actors.

Things have changed since my first week though. The guy who replaced me (we are good friends now) took a job with another show in town because they offered him health benefits. So now, I am the truly the one everyone goes to if they need something with the actors. (I should have mentioned earlier that once I came to work, the other guy became the 1st team helper but my bosses still went to him for about 40% of their information so that was a bit hard.)

As for the actors involved, they are mostly pretty nice. Compared to the last film I worked on where people were a little more demanding and less self-reliant, this show has been cake. #1 on the call sheet is someone you may have seen on HBO over the last few years on a series concentrating on death. He played the slightly off brother of a female main character who had dreams about him in a not-so-clean kind of way. Numero dos on the call sheet is a man who has been seen trying to catch a group of people stealing 50 cars in 24 hours as well as making sure he still has a stake in the script for “Mr. Lovejoy.” (Two separate films obviously.) 3 & 4 are slightly older actors who have had longer careers but haven’t been seen in much as of late. The male won an Oscar the year I was born but this is one of this first TV shows ever. Unfortunately, he has been the diva of the group, but there is always time for him to warm up to everyone. The female lead is on the opposite end of the spectrum in that she is mainly known for her work in television. She has won two Emmy’s for her work on a show that ran from the late 80’s to early 90’s and has also starred in a pretty crappy movie with Rosie O’Donnell on a Caribbean island.

Next up: a story about how I went to a major summer movie premiere…with one of the actors I work with.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home