THS: The Production Assistant

A blog where you can experience the ins and outs of the film biz in NYC through the eyes of someone starting from the bottom up (with a few celebrity sighting puzzles along the way).

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Realizations
Today in NYC was, to sum it up shortly, VERY WET. Wow. There was a lot of rain everywhere today and from what it looks like that is how its going to be for the next couple of days. Flash flood warnings, subways not working because of floods, two hour waits to get through the Holland Tunnel, and watching people fight with the subway conductors after trains stop running…all in a day’s work in Manhattan.

Besides today being a very wet day, it was also a day that was somewhat exciting. Granted I did A LOT of driving around the island today (three times back and forth into Brooklyn as well) but a few things happened that definitely set it apart. At around 1030am I was asked to go pick up one of the lead actors from his apartment. I had seen him in a few bigger movies and was excited to see how he was in person. One thing that was mentioned about him is that he tends to leave stuff behind (bags, cell phones, etc.) so you kind of need to politely remind him just in case he has left something. For the record, I had to bring him his backpack later at night. No one listens I guess. After meeting him, I can see that he’s a really nice guy, down to earth, and overall pretty cool.

By 1130am we are back at the office and I am soon sent out on another errand. The rain is coming down sideways now and it doesn’t really matter if you have an umbrella that covers your whole body, because the rain will find a way to soak you.

Soon after I return in the early afternoon, and about to go right back out to do another errand, I am asked to take the actor I drove in earlier, but also the lead actor. Now, this is where things get a little different. As I’ve said before, I’m a total dork when it comes to seeing celebrities and being somewhat in awe. Every time I have seen one or worked with one, I can pretty much play the whole thing off and act like they are completely normal people (which they are), but today was a new ballgame.

As I’ve probably told most people reading this, the lead actor has been in many movies that we have all seen. He’s usually pretty funny but can also play dramatic roles and seems to pop up when you least expect him. Well, when he got into the car today, I was immediately nervous. I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know if I should talk him up or just be quiet. I didn’t know if he was nice or a loner. I guess I’ve always thought he was really funny and cool and driving him to his house was just a little surreal at the moment.

I usually never get nervous when I meet actors or actresses. Usually they are just like everyone else (some are nice and some are jerks), and then you move on to regular conversations. But today, it was different. I’ve always respected this guy, and even though he hasn’t really been a huge leading actor, he has been around for a long time and has done some great stuff.

The whole experience was interesting especially since I’m sure I’ll be driving them and then female lead, sometime in the future, again.

Making movie magic. Pretty cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home